Saturday, April 21, 2012

New Thoughts versus Old Habits – Part I

 When I started my healthy lifestyle journey, I decided that I would find healthier foods that I really like and eat those foods.  I thought that would be easier than having shakes, frozen dinners, any type of bar - cereal, granola, special k - WHATEVER.  I have successfully lost weight over the years eating shakes, bars, and frozen dinners.  The problem, and there is a problem, is I would gain it back because I wasn't happy eating those foods.  I would return to my comfort foods and over indulge on a weekly basis.  To jump start my journey, I entered a weight loss competition at work.... We weigh in every Tuesday morning and this week was a kicker.....  Drum roll please - I ended up GAINING 2 1/2 lbs.  To say I was disappointed, is like saying taking a band aid off quickly really doesn't hurt..... It does!  It seemed like I had gotten away with having a small bite of this or that, which turned into several bites over several days, when in reality, I didn't get away with anything at all.   I was on my way, and a few small slips cost more than I want to admit.  It's so true - old habits are hard to break.   I started with the two-bite brownies, and then moved on to the chocolate chip cookies.  Cyndee had to talk me down from a chocolate chip dip she brought in to work on Thursday, but no one could talk me down when it came to chocolate chip pound cake.  It was the best cake!  I cannot stop talking about how much I enjoyed that slice of cake.  I don't know if it's because I am truly obsessed with chocolate or that it's been a while since I really and truly enjoyed chocolate!  I would say it's both if I had to choose.  I can see the pattern returning...It's slow, but it's there.  
On Friday, I had salad for lunch.  One of my new favs - Baby Spinach in a Spring Mix, Hillshire Farms Cracked Black Pepper Turkey Breast, and a touch of Naturally Fresh's Classic Ranch salad dressing.  It was delicious and filling, but after finishing my lunch, I felt like I had to have something sweet.  Someone can relate to that feeling of sweet after salt or even sweet with the salt.  Chocolate chip cookies, Doritos, with a coke anyone, anyone???  I was craving Famous Amos Chocolate Chip Cookies!  I was hurt and frustrated.  I had gotten past this point or I thought I had.  I would eat fruit or yogurt with my lunch or dinner and wouldn't have cravings.  Once I recognized the craving and the possible result of my giving in to my craving, and more importantly, returning to my old patterns, I ended up with peanuts.  
I recognize the pattern and I truly want to change!  Today I am reminded of Romans 12:2 - Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - His good, pleasing and perfect will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and appreciated. Please be respectful of others.