Saturday, June 2, 2012

Me and My Foods!

I am trying to figure out what happened to me and why I am so limited with food.  My kid hates veggies and will tell you - often!  I would love to say that it's not my fault becaue my parents were never limited in what they ate, just me.  And sometimes it's true that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.  I just never liked anything!  I would eat hot dogs for dinner at Thanksgiving because I was such a baby! (Thanks, Ma)

I have tried the majority of vegetables and fruits, I just don't like a whole lot.  I feel like it has hurt me in my weight loss journey and life in general.  I've gained weight over the years due to my not eating consistently from the major food groups.  I can honestly say the number of frutis and vegetables I've had over the last twenty years is less than the recommended servings per day.   I think at this point, I just have to accept who I am when it comes to food and not worry about why I don't want to eat brussel sprouts.  It's just not me and I have to get beyond the woe is me phase.  I know I am lacking in variety and at the end of the day, I need to just eat and stop worrying so much.  I can still make great choices, even with my limits!

I have found that I like squash and zuchinni thanks to Kabuki - Japanese Steak House.  I love the vegetables from the Hibachi grill.  I really love the fried rice...hmm sounds like a plan for lunch.  I have two friends who gave me great recipes for spicing up my home menu.  Several times I've tried to saute veggies with olive oil.  YUCK!  I never seemed to get things right so I gave up.  A few months ago a friend told me that his wife bakes their veggies.  It sounded simple and it worked!  I really enjoyed my squash and zuchinni.  I have since been able to make a casserole dish thanks to my friend Amanda.  My kid still won't budge, hates it, but that's okay.  One day...

I always thought that I would be okay eating whatever, whenever I like.  I don't know why I didn't think it would catch up with me.  I remember eating pizza, burgers, fries, candy, chips...etc.  I remember thinking that I don't really care how much I am eating this food or how much I weigh.  I have found that I do care.  I want to be healthy.  I want to be here.  I want to be able to play with my kid and not be too tired.  And of course, I want to be able to let of the meds for good.

As much as I would like to think that my diet doesn't matter, I know that it does.  Over the years, I've been able to loose weight wihout always having to modify my food choices.  I would change my portions but not necessarily the foods I was eating.  This time around I found that I do need to change up my food.  I need to eat less and also eat more of the right foods.  I eat more fruits and vegetables and so does my family.  It feels good knowing that we are making changes for the better..

In my distress I cried unto the Lord, and he heard me. (Psalm 120:1)

I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.  My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning. (Psalm 130: 5-6)

Let every thing that hath breath praise the Lord. Praise ye the Lord. (Psalm 150:6)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are welcome and appreciated. Please be respectful of others.